Cookies

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services and analyze traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse.

Google uses certain Blogger and Google cookies on this blog, including Google Analytics and AdSense cookies. Learn about Google’s privacy practices and how Google uses data on partner sites.

Friday 1 April 2016

#Japan16 Temple Run in Kyoto

Arkansas was hiring a kimono today, and I had agreed to photograph her in it (as it was prohibitively expensive to get a professional to do it, although we did see a number of people had forked out for them)
I had agreed to meet Arkansas from the Kimono hire shop at ten, so when I got out of the hostel at 8.30, I walked over to the Gion district, where I sat on a stone bench overlooking a Sakura lined canal, and ate another Japanese convenience store breakfast of Sakura rice patty cake (I was curious to see what cherry blossom tasted like, and it was nice!) and green tea icecream as the morning was already hot, and I was curious to try that too!

For the next hour and a half I strolled round Gion. I must have visited four or five beautiful temples. Some were displayed in parks, some hidden down back streets, some squeezed between shopping outlets. Kyoto has over 1500 temples, so it wasn't much of a challenge but I wish I'd kept a tally!
temple gates squeezed in between some houses
I met Arkansas as promised and she did look very pretty in her Kimono. We first went to Ginkakuji, Kyoto's famous silver temple. The temple wasn't actually silver (unlike the golden pavillion, which is covered in gold leaf) but it had a beautiful Zen garden, and I took some photos of Arkansas in the garden, carefully timing it so that you couldn't see that it was thronging with tourists! It was a beautiful sunny day and I was very happy with my photos. It was nice to have a human subject for scale and also to make my photos look like my own, as opposed to postcards!

Next we strolled (or in Arkansas' case, shuffled in her three layers of kimono and little Geta shoes) down to the beginning of the Philosopher's walk. It was more crowded yesterday, and the sun being higher meant that the lighting wasn't as good. We had been lucky to catch it when we did. I still got some nice photos though, and we continued up the slope to Honen-in temple. On the way, we saw a quiet graveyard bordered in beautiful Sakura, so we stopped for some photos there too (experimenting with some amusingly posed photos!) and I had a chance to try on my Kimono too which I'd brought along for the ride, and Arkansas took some pictures of me with my big camera. That was really nice of her, I told her it will make my grandparents happy!
there's me. Hahaha

Finally we made it to Honen-in. The temple was beautifully quiet, and shrouded in forest up on the hill. We got yet more photos, took a moment to enjoy the serenity of a temple that felt genuinely spiritual (as opposed to some of the previous crowded tourist traps) and got the bus back to our favourite veggie restaurant in town for lunch. We had vegan burgers, which I absolutely devoured, shamefully delighted to have such normal food. Arkansas said she had preferred her pizza the previous evening, but I thought it was terrific.
our final stop for the day's photo shoot was Fushimi-Inari shrine. This was very important to Arkansas, who had visited once before but hadn't had enough time to complete it. I took lots of photos of her as we walked through the hundreds of red Tori gates (all much smaller than the one af Miyajima for the record. Some of them were so small I didn't even think they were that impressive, but I guess I'd been spoilt!) and at the end of the line of double gates, I searched for somewhere private to put on my own kimono. It was going over my clothes, but still I didn't think it was appropriate to dress myself in public.

This is what all the fuss was about! Fushimi Inari
 I wandered down some steps, past a couple who were changing their naked toddler's clothes, around a corner, and there was another shrine under a tunnel of gates, completely abandoned! I was so excited I leapt back up the stairs to get Arkansas. We posed in our kimonos, firstly just smiling, then in silly poses (although nothing too disrespectful) we had a great time, and as we returned to the crowd, we passed a photographer taking photos of the mossy wall, completely oblivious to the abandoned shrine just out of sight.
After walking through more gates, we took another path away from the queue, finding  a temple for fortunes. An American girl had just been told she had a bad fortune ahead but should make the best of it, and seemed quite worried! We got some more photos of our kimonos here, also with the low sun shining through the petals of a huge sakura tree. We returned to the main path and headed out of the complex, even though there was another (popular) detour available, tonight I was determined to leave in time to see the final light show of the year, and it was already 16:30.
 
Arkansas and I parted company at the main temple building, a magnificent spectacle of red and gold. Arkansas produced a poloroid camera, and a lady took two photos of us. Arkansas gave me one of the prints. They were both still white, and by the time the photo came out of the two of us smiling together in front of the temple, she was already out of sight.

I rode the local train to Kyoto, then changed to the Shinlansen for Nagoya (I nearly got on the expensive super-express train not permitted by my JR Pass, which very much upset the train guard) and then, as the blog I was reading instructed, I changed to another local train to Kuwana, from where I could get a bus.
The blog told me that the light show ended at 9pm. It was now ten past seven (Nagoya is a long way from Kyoto!) and the bus station had no English signage. I asked a pair of Japanese women (mother and daughter I think) and they asked a bus driver, who mimed wheels going around on a train and shook his head, so the ladies took me back to the station and oversaw me buying a train ticket to Nagashima (the island on which the lightshow park was based). At 7.45 I caught what transpired to be a JR local train (I.e. One that was free to me) to Nagashjma island, half convinced that it was a lost cause and I should just ride all the way back tk Nagoya (where this train terminated) however, at Nagashima station I could see lights, and I just jumped off the train at the station impulsively.

From Nagashima I got the direct shuttle bus (the one I had been searching for in Kuwana). There were two other girls on the bus. I wrote them a message "do you know what time the light show finishes?" Into my translator app and handed them my phone. There was a lot of giggling and they kept giving me awkward looks, and after a few minutes, handed my phone back with the answer "22:00close" I thanked them emphatically in my best Japanese. This meant I would get a little over two hours at the park after all!
The park itself cost 2000y (including 100y of park vouchers) and was totally worth it. Amazing LED illuminated blue forests, a church with two LED weirs pouring down into an LED river, awe-inspiring uplit Sakura trees, and two mind boggling light tunnels absolutely stunned me. I couldn't believe how lucky I was to be there.
Magical fairy land. Absolutely worth all of the hassle.
I am sure I will never experience anything like this in my life again!
These faded through different colours, and they
were chaser lights, so they looked like flowing water...

 I used my vouchers for dinner. The only vegetarian food I could find was a stall selling potato croquettes (or chicken, or beef) I had two 500y vouchers, but couldn't get change. The lady manning the stall told me this and I replied that I knew but it was okay. I bought two, but she was so upset that I was being short changed, she gave me two more to make the value jp to 480y! It was very sweet of her. Then I went to a 'sweet' stall and bought a waffle based dessert.

I sat under a giant illuminated cherry blossom tree eating my dinner happily (until I realised I was ruining everyone's photos and moved seat) I seemed to be the only foreigner in the park which also made me very happy. I realised I had been jealously looking for a unique experience this whole time, and probably unfairly resenting other western tourists for this reason! I am also used to westerners making a bad name for ourselves and being culturally insensitive on holiday, but actuallyI hadn't seen anything significantly inappropriate all trip.

My dinner spot!
 
I decided I had time for one last walk around the park, to see if the second light tunnel changed colour (it faded through from white to deep blue but in the blog photos it was pink) but it hadn't, and at 9.50 I caught the bus back to the station. I had made a bad decision. The JR local train was a bit late, but picked me up and got me back to Nagoya for 10:40, and then I went to reserve a seat on the Shinkansen home.

The man at the till shook his head at me. The last Shinkansen was at 10:58, and it was a super-express. With no other choice, I coughed up 5070y, and boarded the train. That's about £40. The super-express was not noticably different to my usual shinkansen, it just missed both of the intermediate stations between Nagoya and Kyoto. I arrived in Kyoto shortly before 23:30.

Here I was in for another surprise. The city buses had all finished for the night. Despite being one of the biggest cities in Japan, there were no buses.

I took the subway (which appeared to also be just closing, and cost another 230y) and emerged onto the street to find I didn't know my way back. The subway system in Kyoto is much less comprehensive than Tokyo and I had to walk several blocks. Luckily I got google maps up, and avoiding any particularly dark streets (although of course, most of them were) I wound my way back to the hotel. I snuggled into my capsule just before 1am, but I am still resolute that it was absolutely worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment